Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Discuss the relevance resident and transient microorganisms in reference to hand hygiene.
- Discuss the criteria for the transmission of healthcare-associated pathogens in reference to hand hygiene.
- Understand the role of detergents and antiseptic agents in reference to hand hygiene products.
- Understand the indications for and demonstrate handwashing, antiseptic handwash, and surgical hand antisepsis.
- Discuss considerations when purchasing hand hygiene products.
- Discuss irritant contact dermatitis and allergic contact dermatitis as they relate to hand hygiene.
- Discuss strategies to improve hand hygiene practices.
- Discuss hand hygiene-related basic expectations for safe care.