Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Explain the risk factors and basic properties of aerosols generated during routine dental procedures.
- Describe what types of dental procedures result in significant dental aerosol production.
- Understand the types of pathogens and resultant illnesses are associated with such aerosols.
- Differentiate between standard and transmission-based precautions and their utility in the dental office for safe delivery of care.
- List infection control and aerosol mitigation techniques that may reduce the risk of cross-contamination to patients and providers.