Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Explain the process of demineralization/remineralization.
- Discuss the role of calcium and phosphate in the remineralization process.
- State where caries occurs first within the enamel structure.
- Compare and contrast enamel and root surface caries.
- Compare and contrast the remineralization process on permanent and primary teeth.
- Discuss elements in clinical examination vital to detection of (a) enamel caries and (b) root surface caries.
- Explain the current approach to evaluating the evidence in answering clinical questions regarding fluorides and caries prevention.
- Provide a scientific, literature-based rationale for the effectiveness of fluoride products in preventing dental caries.