Upon completion of this course, the dental professional should be able to:
- Understand the history and development of modern day dentifrices.
- Discuss the changes from dentifrices that delivered only cosmetic benefits dentifrices to those that focused on therapeutic benefits; and then back to products that deliver a combination of both. This has resulted in a variety claims to improve oral health all packaged in one tube.
- Discuss the changes in ingredients and actives, and describe new technologies.
- Help the dental professional talk to their patients from a position of knowledge about the variety of fluoride dentifrices available in the current marketplace.
- Help the dental professional understand the connection between modern lifestyle (diet), new emerging issues such as dental erosion and appropriate therapies to help them guide their patients.